When Your Kid Is Hurting
Helping Your Child through the Tough Days
No parent likes to see their child in pain.
But you can navigate even negative events with less drama, more resilience, and a positive attitude.
Life isn't always predictable or safe, and today's kids live in an increasingly unstable world. Being bombarded by headlines highlighting school shootings, bullying, and ethnic violence is only the start. Add on peer pressure, a friend's betrayal, nasty jabs on social media, and being stuck in the middle of a divorce, and it's no wonder kids of all ages are facing significant trauma.
In When Your Kid Is Hurting, internationally known psychologist and New York Times bestselling author Dr. Kevin Leman offers practical, time-tested strategies to best help hurting kids, including
· what to say (and not say) when bad things happen
· how to get a hurting kid to talk to you
· when to intervene and when to let your child problem-solve
· how to turn trauma into teachable moments rather than fostering a victim mentality
· understanding the three greatest fears every kid has . . . and the biggest antidotes
· how being proactive can turn difficult situations around and provide future protection
· why the words you choose to use with your child are critical to their recovery
You can help your child get up after being knocked down. When Your Kid Is Hurting will help you not only be your child's best advocate in a healthy way but also reveal secrets for strengthening your lifelong relationship.
Dr. Kevin Leman is an internationally known psychologist, New York Times bestselling author, radio and television personality, educator, humorist, and speaker who has taught and entertained audiences worldwide with his wit and commonsense psychology. He has made house calls through hundreds of radio and television programs, such as FOX & Friends, The View, FOX's The Morning Show, Today, Hallmark Channel's Home & Family, The 700 Club, CBS's The Early Show, CNN, and Focus on the Family, and has served as a contributing family psychologist to Good Morning America. He has written more than 60 books about marriage and family issues, including The Birth Order Book, Making Children Mind without Losing Yours, and Have a New Kid by Friday. Dr. Leman and his wife, Sande, live in Tucson, Arizona. They have five children and four grandchildren.