Editorial Director, Baker Books (Michigan office)
Baker Publishing Group is seeking an Editorial Director to lead the Baker Books division and collaborate with executive management on strategic plans for division growth. This individual will be responsible for oversight of the division’s publishing program and leadership of the Baker Books acquisitions team with day-to-day responsibilities that include book acquisitions, department planning, staff management, team vision casting, and collaboration with key marketing and sales personnel.
- Author/Book Acquisition: Acquires and personally completes and/or oversees developmental/macro edit approximately 15 books annually; identifies and pursues potential author targets; develops book concepts; presents concepts at Editorial Board and Pub Board meetings; negotiates terms with authors and agents; contributes to marketing positioning, cover design, and copy strategy; maintains long-term author relations and backlist maintenance.
- List Planning: Performs effective list management and regular pipeline review; analyzes fiscal year financial projections combining frontlist and backlist titles in relationship to revenue goals; analyzes annual book performance reviews; monitors team progress toward annual acquisitions goals.
- Backlist Curation: Initiates team brainstorming of ancillary products including derivatives and format conversions for entire list of authors; directs annual backlist review.
- Division Leadership: Meets regularly with EVP, Trade Publishing, to review annual acquisitions goals and to monitor team progress; participates in regular Publishing Team meetings to coordinate editorial efforts across all BPG publishing divisions; assists EVP, Trade Publishing, in strategic planning and special initiatives to strengthen and grow the division; maintains division mission and distinctives profile, updating as necessary.
- Staff Management: Develops, oversees, and manages the Baker Books acquisitions staff; holds regular one-on-one meetings with team members; conducts annual employee performance evaluations; facilitates Editorial Board and Pub Board meetings; leads annual departmental retreat.
- Strong knowledge of the Christian book industry
- Demonstrated leadership, oversight, decision-making, and visionary skills
- Proven ability to identify and assess the potential success of publishing ideas
- Excellent interpersonal skills; superior verbal and written communication skills
- Diverse network of author and agent contacts; proven ability to network effectively
- Effective meeting facilitation and presentation skills
- Ability to understand and analyze financial documentation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in the Humanities from a four-year university
- 8-10 years in publishing or related field with supervisory experience
Compensation and Benefits:
Commensurate with qualifications and experience. As a full-time position, benefits offered include health, dental, vision, group life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, paid time off, 401(k) after three months, and others.
Send cover letter and resume as email attachments to jobopenings@BakerPublishingGroup.com, including the words “Editorial Director, Baker Books” in the subject line. Alternately, mail these materials to the attention of “Human Resources – Editorial Director” at Baker Publishing Group, 6030 E Fulton, Ada, MI 49301.
Baker Books has a vision for building up the body of Christ by equipping evangelical Christians, be they in the pulpit or the pew, with books that are relevant, intelligent, and engaging. We publish titles for lay Christians on such topics as discipleship, apologetics, spirituality, relationships, marriage, business, parenting, and the intersection of Christianity and culture. We publish books and ministry resources for pastors and church leaders, concentrating on topics such as preaching, worship, biblical study, church life, pastoral ministries, counseling, and leadership.
Baker Publishing Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.