Software Developer, Baker Book House (Michigan, full-time)
About this position:
A Baker Book House Company Website Programmer/Developer knows software inside and out and can make insightful decisions to ensure a great user experience. You will be responsible for the back-end development in this role while having ingrained empathy towards your users. The Software Developer is responsible for working with our in-house Visual Arts staff on design. The Developer will be responsible for all coding, while modifying all company websites for new initiatives, refinements of the current site, and improving functionality for both the in-house staff and the end user. These additions and deletions will be made after consultation with the employer’s in-house team positioned to increase reader engagement and sales via these websites. In partnership with the design staff, the Developer will strive to create a visually appealing site that crafts an incredible user-experience, warm design and clear navigation. Baker Book House Company is looking for someone who will embrace our Christian culture and own our passion for book publishing and selling. We care about people, growth, excellence and results. You should be able to transfer your current experience quickly, comfortable working in an agile environment, and have a deep understanding of the web.
- Build digital applications using a variety of programming languages
- Contribute to and motivate fellow team members to work in a positive, collaborative, and team-oriented environment
- Use automated testing practices (TDD, BDD, full-stack integration, and continuous integration)
- Work within an agile environment alongside team members including task estimation, test automation, deployment automation, and continuous integration
- Iterate on and improve existing products and applications
- Provide technical feedback on early concepts
- Help improve existing engineering and dev-ops processes
- Stay up-to-date on industry changes and trends
- 5+ years of experience in software development, preferably in a role leading other developers
- Knowledge of Ruby on Rails development specifically, Ruby and it's various frameworks
- Strong SQL background (data modeling and query), along with document-oriented databases and key-value stores.
- Strong written/spoken communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills
- Comfortable creating and testing Prototype solutions
- Bonus points for experience in other programming languages such as iOS, Elixr, and graph databases, and with tools such as Pivotal Tracker
- Software Developer will work in-house, but also alongside local web developers at The Factory & Elevator Up
Compensation and Benefits:
Commensurate with qualifications and experience. As a full-time position, benefits include health, dental, group life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, paid time off, 401(k) after three months, and others.
Send cover letter and resume as email attachments to jobopenings@BakerPublishingGroup.com, including the words “Software Developer” in the subject line. Alternately, mail these materials to the attention of “Human Resources” at Baker Publishing Group, 6030 E Fulton, Ada, MI 49301.
Baker Publishing Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.